Monday, October 24, 2005

The first time I met Rob was in the summer of 1999. He came to our home to take my daughter Beth on a date. Little did I realize at that moment Rob would have a special place in my heart forever. My wife Kathy remembers Rob standing at attention when I rose to shake his hand. I remember that he was very polite and respectful toward us. His first impression on us was a good one.

In the next several months we had some great adventures that helped us get to know Rob better. Rob joined our family as we fled the expected wrath of hurricane Floyd. After 13 hours of driving, we found shelter at a Baptist church in Valdosta, Georgia only Ninety Miles from home. We made it home the next day exhausted but with some great memories from our adventure. In late October Kathy & I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary with a trip to tour New England in the fall. As it turned out, Rob was in Rhode Island on a naval recruiting trip the same weekend as us. The three of us spent the day touring around Newport & Portsmouth. Rob was very gracious in tolerating my enthusiasm about seeing the old neighborhoods where my family lived in the 1950s. We had dinner and drove Rob back to the naval base. It was a special day and we really got to know each other.

Over the next three years Rob was like a member of the Walsh family. He celebrated every birthday, Christmas, vacation, holiday, & family occasion with us. We were so proud of him the day he graduated from JU & was commissioned into the U.S. Navy. Even our extended families fell in love with this wonderful young man. I guess we all thought that Rob would become a permanent member of our family. As things turned out that was not to be. Rob & Beth broke up after three years together & everyone went their separate ways.

The Lord has blessed me with three beautiful daughters & now two beauty granddaughters. Many people have asked me if I ever regretted not having a son. The answer is absolutely not! However, if I had a son my dream would have been for a son with Rob’s qualities. I admired his ability to relate to all the people he met and how they would instantly relate to him. It seemed he never met a stranger. Everybody wanted to be his friend. Rob was a real man’s man but could also be as gentle as a child. He was smart, talented, & highly motivated to achieve all the goals he desired to achieve. You almost knew for certain this young man would be a success at any goal he undertook. He had integrity, discipline, courage, & served his country with honor & pride. The quality we loved the most was his ability to show love & appreciation to others & receive their love in return.

On Sunday September 25th I returned home from work & Kathy met me at the back door. She was in tears & told me that Rob had been killed in a helicopter accident while training at sea. The news immediately broke my heart. Our family got together that evening to try & comfort one another. The loss of Rob was almost too much for us to comprehend or bear. As the first several weeks passed, I pondered for many hours over the loss of this very special young man. Personally, I was not prepared for the depth of sadness & loss that encompassed me from Rob’s death. Then it finally became clear why I was so devastated. In the three years that Rob was part of our lives, I had grown to love Rob like a son.

I cannot understand why this tragedy had to happen in Rob’s life at this time. He was so young, had so much promise for the future, so much life to live, so much love to give, and so many people that truly loved him. I have prayed for the answer but in my finite mind have not found one. The only thing that comforts me is to know how much Rob was loved by all those that knew him & how much he loved them. The Bible tells us that God is Love. I am bold enough in my faith to believe that God is still in control & will give his children all of eternity to spend with the ones we love. Rob & I had many talks about the Lord & our relationship to Him. I know he believed in & had reverence for his heavenly Father. Therefore, in just a little while we will share eternity with no more tears, pain, or separation. Until that day comes our love will bind & keep us together in heart & mind.

Rob, thanks for coming into our lives & sharing your life with us. You are a chosen member of this family forever. What a great blessing you have been to us. I have one last thing to say to you until we are together again. I really wanted to have the opportunity some time ago but never got the chance. It is simply this! I would have been extremely proud TO CALL YOU MY SON! Love, Mr. Walsh

No comments: