"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
-Roosevelt
I had the distinct honor to meet Rob thru my wifes friend Sara. I met a man who fit the above quote to a "T." When I was first introduced to Rob I learned about his job for the Navy and we immediatley "hit it off" sort of speak. Myself being in the Airforce, I could appreciate his line of work and the sacrifices he's made to keep this country free. Looking back I laugh at the conversations we shared while my wife Sheri and Sara stared at each other blankly - wondering what the hell we were talking about. We had the military jargon down pretty good and at the very least, we had our women convinced that we were the best at what we do. I have not had the honor to work with Rob, but I know his brothers in the Navy could attest that he set the standard and got the job done. Although it was shortlived, the times Sheri and I spent with Rob and Sara were full of nothing but laughs and good times. I will always cherish the memories the 4 of us made together and I will always feel blessed to have met such a great man.
Wes Hufnagel
Pararescue
"These things we do...that others may live"
No comments:
Post a Comment