Monday, October 10, 2005

Everlasting Life

Blessed is the man who perserveres under trial; because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of Life that God has promised to those who love him.

James 1:12

Rob is a true example of a man who rose above trial; and stood the test. He has been given Everlasting life from our Heavenly Father.

I have read all the beautiful messages Robs friends and family have written. What an amazing group of people, and such beautiful words and tributes.
The last two weeks have been like living in "slow motion". It seems as if the world should stop at the thought of this man so full of life, charisma, and promise not to be here on earth with all of us who love him so deeply. It is all so hard to understand and accept.

I met Rob 7 years ago when he dated my sister Beth. Of course my first reaction was to doubt his intentions because of what I saw on the exterior; but as we all know it did not take long for me to see the beautiful spirit inside. I had no idea then that this person would become one of my greatest friends, and like family. I wil never forget my initial training as a Flight Attendant when Rob and Beth took me to the airport. Back then everyone could go to the gate, and I just remember how incredibly nervous I was but Rob always made it "all good". Whether it was that sheepish grin, words of encouragement, or just that motivating spirit he had.
We both had a "love of flying"...................of course mine being aft of the cockpit.
I remember when I first started dating Brian who would later become my husband Rob like an older brother drilling me on the character of this young man. Of course they became fast friends and also attended flight school during the same period.

Eventually my sister and Rob broke up. I wanted to be the supportive older sister and not continue my relationship with Rob but I just couldnt. We were to vested. There was always a tug on my heart for this man and I in no way could or would ever sever the friendship. Not long after that a miracle happened.................... Rob became my neighbor. It was so great knowing someone right across the street. A hundred ft away!!!
I will never forget Rob riding his motorcycle past our condo and reving the engine to let us know he was there. Brian and I would just look at each other and chuckle saying aloud "there goes Rob". Man am I going to miss that.

I remember the first time Rob talked to me about Sara. I was in the Detroit airport flying home and he was at Al's Pizza picking up takeout for them. There we were engrossed in conversation "uuuggghhiinngg and aaaauugghhing" at life with excitement as we always did. Carrying on communication as if noone else were around. I knew there was something different about Sara. I could just hear it in his voice. It was so special that when the time came Rob included me in asking a million questions as to what type of diamond to buy Sara. I will never forget how freaked he was the day he asked if I could wait at his house to sighn for the package with the precious gem inside, and I will never forget how freaked Brian and I were when Sara came home early only to find us in the hallway after carefully hiding the package in Robs closet as he had instructed us.

I am so glad that Rob was so happy his final days here; and I am so glad that Robs final big purchase was a perfect little puppy "milo" for Sara. What a special gift and little companion to comfort her thru this grief.

Rob was always a "giver"!!!!
This is a passage from a card Rob gave me after graduating from flight school.

Never underestimate the power of Giving.
It shines like a beacon throughout Humanity.
It cuts through the oceans that divide us and
brightens the lives of all it touches.
One of lifes greatest laws is that you cannot
hold a torch to light anothers path..............
without brightening your own.

Rob brightened all of our lives, and we brightened his life!!!

How could Rob have known that this passage from a card in the height of his life would give me so much comfort in his death.

Also in this card was something so profound. A trophy that I will have forever..........
Robs Naval Aviator Wings!

I had given Rob a pair of my wings when he left for flight school. I did not know at the time that he had carried them in his pocket along with a prayer from his grandmother on all his training flights.

Rob attached my wings along with his on this card with these words....

"I hope that one day these wings will help motivate you when you need them".

I never knew how much I would need them untill Robs passing.
They have given me strength, and courage facing my own fears of flying after his accident.

Rob not a day will go by that I will not think of you. Your death has reminded me to slow down, relax, and look out the window at the beauty in this life that God has created. It says in the bible that God created us in his image; well I definitly think he spent a little more time on you.

Thankyou for being my friend and blessing my life.

Thankyou for serving our country, and being the true example of the "American Dream".

Till we meet again,
Mary Neldner or as you liked to call me Miss Mary


No comments: