Tuesday, September 27, 2005

"Adversity causes some men to break...others to break records"

I thought it appropriate to start off talking about Rob with a quote he used to sign off every email with. And look at it, and think about it. Read it once, especially the first part...Adversity causes some men to break. Some men. Not Rob, not us.

We face adversity like we have not known...and we will not break.

I wrote this today at school...for myself, as a release, as a chance to clear my own head. I wish to share it with you all, my brothers, my friends, my family.

Last night, I turned where I usually turn in a time of crisis...to my mother. I figured she was probably the closest thing I know to a saint, so hey...she's got some answers...she can help.

She said to write down some words about Rob, and send it to his fiance Sara. "It will help...both of you." So, I listened to her, and she kept asking me why I wasn't saying anything. I think, for the first time in my life, I was without anything to say.

So I continued to listen.

"God's calling him home."

As my eyes filled with tears, I listened.

"This isn't an end. It's a new beginning for Rob."

Sick to my stomach, and almost ill, I listened.

"Brian, you have to believe that God has a plan for every one of us. Your friend has fulfilled his purpose in life. What that purpose was, only God knows...but it was time for him to go. It was time for God to call him home."

Way too early I thought....way too early. But, I listened.

"When I die, don't cry for me. Cry for yourself, but not for me. I'll be in a far better place."

Then, she said something that I don't think I'll ever forget. "When my mother, your grandmother passed away, someone came up to me and told me that 'God likes nice things too.'"

I do find some comfort in what she said, but not closure. I don't know what brings closure in a time like this. Is there anything that truly can? We can find comfort in each other...but how can we give someone closure, until they are ready to accept it?

You know what I find comfort in? I find comfort in the fact that Rob died doing what he truly loved to do. First of all, lets think of Rob as a man, and what he was doing. He was a proud servant of his country, one who bled red, white, and blue. He was our nations protector, and he loved it. At the time of his passing, he was training to hunt submarines. TO HUNT SUBMARINES! What a bad ass...yeah, I can say it. I'm writing it. What a BAD ASS! And you know what's great, Rob knew it. He knew he was a bad ass...and he loved it.

Comfort? Quote Ross Jones: "It's not tragic to die doing something you love."

It's like if I had a heart attack watching fantasy football...just put the final score on my tombstone.

Comfort? Eleas Wilson. "I never open the Bible. I didn't know anything happened to Rob until Monday morning. I read the Bible Sunday night." Rob is in heaven.

Comfort? Sara, this past Friday night. She tells me how much Rob loved JaxPFF, the message board, the trash talking. I find comfort in the fact that his last weeks on our beloved planet were good ones for him. He was happy.

Comfort? Rob. The last time I was out drinking with Rob was a week before he left for sea. He was out, boozin' it up. Shots. "Tupper, you pussy." I don't think anyone has ever called me a pussy more in my life...and it makes me smile every time I hear his deep booming voice in my head. "What a bunch of pussies," "Tupper, don't be such a pussy." "I love pussy." I regress, but it's funny...and so was Rob. He was one funny SOB...and we loved him for that. I think the last thing I'm going to take with me is Rob running after Bateh at McCools with his camera phone, trying to snap a picture of Bateh and the girl whose number Ronnie just scored. He was literally disappointed when he missed it, and gave up the hunt for the picture only to buy another round of shots.

What a great memory, one I'll always treasure.

Comfort? My own thoughts and dreams. I share with you my dream from last night. During the 40 minutes of rest I did get, I dreamed about Rob. It was a news broadcast, and it was about Rob's passing. They had video of his mother, and of Sara. They had footage of Rob, talking about his love of his country. Then, the reporter came back on and informed the audience that Rob Elortegui's life savings were found in a fish, which was recovered. A fish! It was reported that Rob would not leave his comrades behind, knew he wouldn't make it to safety, caught the fish, stuffed it with his life savings and a note, inflated it, and sent it to the surface. The note read "Adversity causes some men to break...other men to break records." After I woke up, I checked the news. It was all a dream, but it seemed so real. And, as I lay awake, I smiled for the first time since I heard he was missing. Was this dream so far fetched...I mean, if anyone could have caught a fish, stuffed it with his belongings, inflated it, and send it to the surface because he wouldn't leave his comrades behind...It's be Rob. As I said before, he was a bad ass.

As I reflect on Rob's life, I examined my own. It made me realized how lucky I am. I have a great family, I have great friends. I can find comfort in them, and I hope that you can find comfort in me as well.

I leave you all with this one thought. To me, sadness is a temporary solution to a long term problem. Our problem is...we lost a great friend, a member of our family. But, what a great problem to have. It's better to be sad, and have known Rob, then to be happy and have not.

Thank you Rob, for your sacrafice, for your service, for your sense of humor, for your smile. Thank you for being my friend. Thank you for being a member of my family.

Good win over Knibb High

- The biggest pussy you ever knew

No comments: